Joomla 2.5 â€“ User Lost Super Administrator Access
Joomla 2.5 Tutorials â€“ Not too sure how it happened, but one of my super admin user lost Super Administrator access. Â I might have accidentally changed it in the backend now I do not have access to the backend with Super Administrator access.
How to fix? Â Below I will show you how to do it. Â You will need access to your database via the phpMyAdmin through your web hosting provider. Â Only make these changes below if you know what you are doing. Â Making a mistake will bring down your website.
Overview of How to Grant Super Admin User Super Administrator Access
- Get the Super Admin User ID in the _users table
- Get the Super Users Group ID in the _usergroups table
- Find & Edit the User in the _user_usergroups_map table
- Change Group ID in theÂ _user_usergroups_mapÂ table
1. Â Get the Super Admin User ID in theÂ _usersÂ table
After logging into your database and access your Joomla 2.5 website database. Â Along the left navigation you will find all the tables in your database. Â Each user you create in Joomla 2.5 is associated with a User ID. Â Each User ID is unique. Â You will need to associate this User ID with a Group ID Â later in Step 4.
Joomla 2.5 â€“ _users table see Super User User ID
- Search for the table name _users
- Click on table name _users, click on â€˜Browseâ€˜
- View your table contents and see in my case my Super User ID = 42
- That is the User ID I want to have Super Administrator access.
2. Â Get the Super Users Group ID in theÂ _usergroupsÂ table
Now there is a group ID for the Super Administrators (Super Users). Â You will need to find this Group ID number to associate it with the User ID in step 1.
Joomla 2.5 â€“ Super Administrator Group ID _usergroups table
- Search for the table nameÂ Â _usergroups
- Click on the table nameÂ _usergroupsÂ and click on the â€˜Browseâ€˜ tab
- View the contents and see that the â€˜Super Usersâ€™ Group ID = 8
3. Â Find & Edit the User in theÂ _user_usergroups_ mapÂ table
Now we want to match the User ID with the Group ID in the _user_usergroups_mapÂ table. Â This table is how Joomla 2.5 manages user groups. Â It maps the User ID in step 1 with the Group ID in Step 2.
Joomla 2.5 â€“ User groups Map table
- Search for the table name _user_usergroups_map
- Click on the table nameÂ _user_usergroups_map and click on the â€˜Browseâ€˜ tab
- You can see in the above screenshot that my User ID 42 is incorrectly mapped to Group ID 2. Â If you look at Step 2, Group ID 2 is an Registered group.
- So I need to edit User ID 42 to be Group ID = 8
- for User_ID = 42, Click Â on the â€˜Pencilâ€˜ icon (second column) to edit the row
4. Â Change Group ID in theÂ _user_usergroups_mapÂ table
As mentioned above, we are going to edit the Super User to have Super Administrator rights by editing the User ID in the table _user_usergroups_map.
Joomla 2.5 â€“ Change User ID to have Super Administrator Access
- Change field to the following value:
- Click on â€˜Goâ€™
Now if you view yourÂ Â _user_usergroups_mapÂ table, you will see that your Super User account is correctly mapped to Group ID = 8. Â You can log into your Joomla 2.5 administrator backend and access your site as a Super Administrator User.
Joomla 2.5 â€“ Super Administrator has Super User Access